Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Tu Tu Kueh (Putu Piring)

Today, I had the rare opportunity to receive blessings from Tulku Tenzin Phuntsok Rinpoche, the boy Rinpoche who is the reincarnation of Geshe Lama Konchog, and I offered some food - including Tu Tu Kueh to the boy. It was a really interesting experience, the adorable boy Rinpoche will put his hand on your crown while you are on your knees. So far in my life, I have never been blessed by a boy monk before. Anyway, since this is a vegan blog, I shall move on to Tu Tu Kueh.

Tu Tu Kueh is a kind of "cake" made from rice flour with peanut or sweet coconut filling (at least that's the versions available from the stall I bought from). The rice flour is first placed in the mould and some of the filling placed in, and the mould is filled up with more rice flour. The mould is then placed in the steamer and steamed, then its ready to be eaten. I bought mine at this temporary stall set up outside a shopping center at 5 for $2.00, it's really nice, I prefer the coconut one, the peanut one is a little dry for my taste.

Picture source: lynn.entori.net

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2012 http://living-vegan.blogspot.com