Sunday, April 29, 2007

Vegetarian rojak

Yesterday I just had a nice bowl of vegetarian Rojak, the sauce is a little strong, but it's really good otherwise. Rojak is a dish that's commonly found here in Singapore, and also in neighbouring countries such as Malaysia and Indonesia. It consists of fruits and veggies mixed in special sauce which tastes both sweet and hot. The rojak I ate contains cucumber, pineapple, tofu, and some other food which I can't recognized since the taste of the sauce is so strong. The non-vegetarian version uses shrimp and prawn paste in the sauce. You can also use vegetarian shrimp paste to use in the sauce, I will post the ingredients for the shrimp paste tomorrow. How good the rojak will taste depends on the ingredients of the sauce, and I think the kind of fruits and veggies used would also be importance. For a healthier rojak version, leave the oil out.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where can i buy the "vegetarian shrimp paste"? I think it would be nice to use them to fry kangkung.. hehe..
--jn

dreamy said...

Hi jn,
unfortunately the veg shrimp paste I used was bought from Malaysia I am not sure if it's available at stores here - maybe u can try those stores selling veg mock meats and stuff.

This is the description of the paste:
Prawn noodle paste - su tung vegetarian. The paste is dark brown in color and is sold in a glass container. It is manufactured by Paste Land vege food industries.

Anonymous said...

oh i see. which part of MY? maybe I can ask my mom to look for it
--jn

dreamy said...

Its available at a small shop in Alor Star, Kedah. I don't have the address unfortunately.. sorry

Anonymous said...

oic. I'll ask my parents to look for it then. Hehe... AS is a small place. So I think it won't be difficult to find it.

dreamy said...

The place is actually a veg eatery but sell veg products as well I think, its very near lorong bayan street

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2012 http://living-vegan.blogspot.com