Friday, July 27, 2007

Chinese new year vegetarian breakfast dishes

I had sweet glutinuous rice for breakfast just now. It was a traditional dish passed down to us from my grandma (dad's mum) that was prepared as breakfast for the Chinese New Year. We had some glutinuous rice left at home for a long time, and my mum decided to cook it up. Basically, this dish is prepared by soaking the glutinuous rice for a long time and steaming it. You also need to heat black beans in a pan until their skin cracked opened. And you use the beans with red dates and sugar syrup. After that just pour the syrup onto the glutinuous rice and let the rice soak in it a while before serving. Actually I have always considered it as a dessert since it's sweet, but rice for dessert seems to much :)

Chinese New Year for my other grandma (mum's mum) is different. She will wake up very early to cook zhai cai (斋菜). Some call it "vegetarian pot". The zhai cai dish consists of yuba (tofu skin), shitake mushrooms, mung bean vermicelli (cellophane noodles), cloud ear (black fungus), golden needles (day lily) and maybe fat choy (hair moss). Can't remember if there are any other ingredients. This dish is served with rice.

Something else...
My mum told me that she got into an argument with her boss yesterday because of me :o They were discussing about vegetarianism and my mum was saying how she cooked different kind of beans etc. to ensure I stay nutritionally ok. Her boss said she will not do all this for her kids if they go veg and she will also not support it or something. And mum said that it's your kid and why won't you sort of go the extra mile for them etc. and I don't know what happened and it ended up becoming a debate and both of them eventually stopped talking.
Conclusions:
1. Mum is great!
2. Omnivores and omnivoress can get into a "vegetarian" argument, especially if an omnivore takes the wrong side.

11 comments:

urban vegan said...

I think "debate" happens when omnis feel a bit guilty about not doing enough to stop animal suffering, supprt their kids, etc. [Your mom rocks, BTW]

When I say I'm vegan, most people are supportive and curious--but when people joke or make fun, I realize it is usually to assuage their own guilt.

KleoPatra said...

i love your mom! She is so on the right track. i'm sorry that others are not more like her. Someday, it is my hope, the world will FINALLY "get it."

Happy New Year!

Your glutinuous rice dish sounds very sweet and yummy!!

Veggie Bun said...

I feel your mother is very nice to cook for you! :)

But on the other hand, her boss may think it is ironic that your mom eats meat yet supports her daughter's decision not to eat meat.

dreamy said...

Yes! I agree with ur point Urban Vegan, sometimes ppl do try to justify their diet is ok.

Hehe.. it's not the new year here :) though I wish it is! Then I can get to eat chinese new year goodies :). My mum juz made the new year dish cuz theres too much rice. Chinese new year usually falls in January or February of the gregorian calender.

I feel v fortunate to have such a mother :) Hahaha that's true, but I dunno what her boss thinks. My mum is actually leaning very much towards the veg side juz that she can't take the leap.

Veggie Bun said...

Hehe.. you should encourage your mom. :)

dreamy said...

I try to maybe the time is not right yet, but ultimately it depends on herself :)

Travegan said...

Parents can be funny sometimes. My dad says the vegan diet would be the best for everyone and is rooting for schools to only offer vegan food, but still doesn't take the step himself. Oh well, maybe some day. And big cheers for your mum! :-)

dreamy said...

yes jari, sometimes they are funny :) the other day she was telling me how her collegues say they kill cats in china, and I told her I like cats so much and yet they do these to them. Then she say these suffering the same with all the animals. lol... so I ask her "why do u still eat meat then?" hehe

Veggie Bun said...

Hehe.. yeah, how come your mom knows but doesn't want to take the leap? :P And she already has to cook veg food for you everyday, so she could easily be veg too... puzzling..

dreamy said...

hahaha... she craves things like chicken pies, tuna etc. every now and then I guess.

Veggie Bun said...

oic... hehe.. i understand how she feels. :P

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2012 http://living-vegan.blogspot.com