Saturday, July 21, 2007

Vegetarian Nonya dumplings and dragon fruit for dinner

I just had a veg Nonya dumpling for dinner bought from the Eastern Rice Dumpling store at Balestier road. (I just realised that the picture in the "dumpling" link which I got from a search was exactly the one I ate just now). Although the Chinese says "meat dumpling" don't worry, they have just this one type that is vegetarian.

Wrapped with white glutinuous rice, the shredded mock "meat" (made of shitake mushroom stems and some vegetarian meat) tasted both salty and a little sweet at the same time. After you eat, it leaves a slightly peppery-hot taste on your tongue. It's pretty good. Costs SGD$1.30. One of them makes me almost full.
After dinner I had a few slices of dragon fruit (pitaya). The supermarket was having a discount and my mum bought ten of them home! Dragon fruits for the rest of the week I guess. In Singapore, I have seen only 2 varieties of pitaya so far. Both have pink skins except one has white flesh on the inside while the other has red flesh on the inside. I prefer the one with red flesh, but it's more expensive than the white variety. The fruits also have tiny black seeds in them which are edible. The fruits are not exactly sweet or sour. It's taste is hard to describe, you got to eat it yourself and you will understand :). You can also use pitaya to make smoothie.
Picture sources: easternricedumpling.com, canarygirl.vox.com, members.fortunecity.com

9 comments:

Veggie Bun said...

I always feel the dragon fruit is sorta tasteless... hehe..

Travegan said...

In Beijing they only have the fruits with white flesh. They're really handy packages, when I first visited Finland after coming to China I took some over to my relatives and they were all really excited about them and now ask for those every time I go there. :-)

KleoPatra said...

Ooooooooooh, dragon fruit!! i wonder if i can find one of those somewhere here in California.

Your lunch/dinner (not sure which) looks terrific!! Yummy.

dreamy said...

hahah.. no it's not tasteless hehe, it's kinda plain, but it has a unique taste to it :)

if u have the chance do try the red flesh fruits, it's quite good :)

Oh, I am not sure if it can be planted in california, but it can be grown in central america and perhaps some parts of south america :) hehe... the dinner was definitely not a healthy balanced meal though :)

*AnN* said...

Wow! pitaya!! Do you know Dragon fruits are the fruits of what kind of plant??

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Its Cactus!!! I jsut realised it when my friend went over malaysia to get the pink flesh fruits. ;) SO interesting!! :D

dreamy said...

Hi annie, yea I just found out the other day too! I never thought they were fruits of catuses, my mum was surprised when I told her that.

Veggie Bun said...

Oh, they are cactus! I thought they are similar type of plant like pineapples! hahaha...

Maybe coz I like strong flavored stuff (like durians) that's why I fine it tasteless lor... :P

dreamy said...

I also like durians! Especially those XO type :) I haven't eaten any durians since the durian season, is it still on?

Veggie Bun said...

I think so... I just ate them during the past two days..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2012 http://living-vegan.blogspot.com