Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Four season vegetarian food

This two days I went for my lunch at Four season vegetarian food (The one near Yummy food court). I finally note down it's name :) They really have a wide variety of dishes besides kway chap. Yesterday I tried their mee pok (a kind of chinese yellow flat noodle), served with mock fishballs and some mock stuff with a little veggies and a bowl of soup. The lady boss told me their soup is cooked with dang shen (Codonopsis pilosula or poor man's ginseng) and some other herbs, dang shen is used for strengthening the qi and immune system in traditional chinese medicine. The mee pok and soup were so-so, but again, $2.50 is cheap :)

Today I tried their sotong (squid) noodles, or what people call "hokkien mee". Hokkien mee is cooked with a mixture of yellow noodles and rice noodles. Usually in the non-vegetarian version, you will see prawns used, but they used mock prawn in this one. They gave me a lot of noodles and the noodles with the slight gravy was surprisingly quite nice! There was enough flavour especially towards the end of my meal as I didn't mix the gravy with the noodles well enough. The price of the hokkien mee is $3.

The stall also sells other dishes, such as laksa (I checked with them they don't use dairy), tom yam fried rice, herbal soup with rice, fried kuay teow (flat noodles), the usual mix veg rice, and I can't remember the rest.

If I am not mistaken it is located at Block 148 (residential area located along Jalan Bukit merah). The block is somewhere near Silat avenue. If you wish to pre-order or cater for birthdays etc. you can also let them know.

5 comments:

Edanator said...

Does veggie laksa contain dairy?

:-s

Veggie Bun said...

I think they use coconut milk (which is what they use in non-veg laksa too).

Btw, dreamy, see this "funny" article http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_150457.html

dreamy said...

Yes Eda, some of the hawkers mixed coconut milk with some milk. That was the case in NIE. Mee siam may also have milk. What I learnt from the lady boss was milk isn't healthy if it was cooked for long hours, so she didn't use it in her laksa.

Thanks for the interesting article, jn :)

Veggie Bun said...

oh, mee siam has milk??!!! i didn't even know

dreamy said...

:) I don't know about other places, but at the stall at NIE uses that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2012 http://living-vegan.blogspot.com