Sunday, August 26, 2007

Vegetarian potluck at East coast park

Yesterday, I had a vegetarian potluck party at East coast with several other vegetarians. It was really great! There were even raw dishes to fill us up because several of the people who came ate raw - we had this nice raw chocolate pie by Chris, which sort of melted and become chocolate fudge instead, but it was very rich and creamy. Betty and Hsiu Mei black sesame paste and durian agar which I give two thumbs up! Because everything was prepared specially by everyone, you can really taste the richness of the food and it's not like those you find outside where they add in lots of cheap things to cut back on the actual ingredients. Helga brought smoked tempeh which I simply like. In fact, I must say everything was excellent! We also had a nice organic salad Shakib brought and not forgetting the popiah Violet took pains to make for us. Swee choo's mum made a very interesting dish of brown rice and glutinuous rice wrapped in a thin layer of tofu skin, while danny brought Chempedak (fruit that looks similar to jackfruit). Yeow made a very tasty rojak for everyone, sor leng bought nutritious buns, and there were also lots of chapatis . In fact there was a lot more other food which I can't name all, in a sense I think it is great that Singapore is a multi-racial country, we get to know a wide variety of food of different racial backgrounds.

I went to my relative's birthday party just now, and was surprised that my aunt cooked vegetarian bee hoon and even offered to cook additional veggies for me. This thoughtfulness is really touching. While I savour the bee hoon, their dog came into the kitchen and started pacing around us and looking at us. I took some of my veggies and gave it to her, and to my surprise she took it and was excited for more food. I had thought since she was raised on meat she won't like veggies. It seems that dogs are so much like pigs besides intelligence - they aren't too picky. The last time I fed a cat, it sniffed the food and ignore it.

10 comments:

Edanator said...

Oh, I forgot! *sigh*

I could have made my famous Hoummus...

urban vegan said...

Glad you ad such a great time at the potlick--and how nice of your aunt to cook you a veggie dish.

dreamy said...

Yea, only Danny and rachel and kau wee from the forum turned up :( but there was already so much things to eat that we have to pack home the rest...

:) Thanks UV

Anonymous said...

Cruel to Display Live Seafood In 'Death Row' Tanks?

"It is interesting to read the letter to Today on 27th Aug 2007 by Dr Tan Chek Wee on the topic “It's Cruel for Stalls to Display Live Seafood In 'Death Row' Tanks”. I do not know that whether the subject title is drafted by Dr Tan or by Today editor. Just by the title, I am speechless. My immediate reaction is: does the seafood care about whether they are in “Death Row” Tanks or “KIV” Tanks? Does the seafood have feeling on how their predators name the living environment? I think what the sea creatures more interested is whether the living environment their predators give them before killing them is comfortable for their survival instead of the name.

It is interesting to see a Dr spent time on considering how we should name the tanks for sea creature instead of spending time to improve the living condition of many fellow human beings in substandard living condition.

What is the priority our top talents in Singapore spend time thinking about improving our situation?


Just to clarify, I am not an advocate for animal abuse. In fact, I think we should take care of the whole environment God entrusted to the Human race. However, they should be a priority on how we manage our resources. "

Anonymous said...

http://yhkoh.blogspot.com:80/2007/08/cruel-to-display-live-seafood-in-death.html

dreamy said...

Thanks for the interesting article Mr Koh :) I missed monday's newspaper.

On the optimistic side, I think at least Dr Tan thought about the suffering of the animals.

But imo, no killing can ever be compassionate, "Killing" never abadon it's best friends "Suffering" and "Cruelty".

A lot of people will not feel like eating if they actually see their animals from life to death. It's just against our natural compassion. However, I am disappointed that Dr Tan chooses to avoid it by hoping they are out of side, I hope he will face it.

Avoiding these was exactly what I did b4 I became a veg, but eventually it became too much and I have to remove the blindfold.

dreamy said...

out of sight* (typo)

veganmeow said...

Hi Dreamy, just discovered your blog...was nice meeting you at the potluck.

Agree that killing goes with cruelty and suffering...but for the time being we can only hope for more 'humane' treatment... until everyone becomes vegetarian. I too, avoid the sights...knowing is painful enough.

veganmeow said...

There is a petition going...


http://meowies.multiply.com/journal/item/485/Please_ban_the_slaughter_of_animals_in_restaurants_foodstalls_and_markets

dreamy said...

Hi Helga, thanks for visiting my blog and informing me of the petition :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2012 http://living-vegan.blogspot.com