Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Lao Di Fang

When I first started working as a temp executive, I thought my collegues were not interested to ask me along for lunch because I was a vegetarian, it turns out they thought I wasn't interested to do lunch with them, hahaha... Luckily, things were resolved after a while and I feel lucky and grateful to be able to work with people who are so accomodating.

It's near the end of my term at workplace, today they treated me to a farewell lunch at Lao Di Fang at Apollo centre. We ordered kou rou buns, ma po tofu, soup, stir-fried monkey head mushrooms with broccoli, stir-fried long beans and a mock meat dish on the side. The ma po tofu is so-so, but the stir-fried long beans were pretty good, so were the monkey head mushrooms and soup (which also had monkey head mushrooms). The mock meat was good but unfortunately I am not sure what it is called. The white rice was mixed with a little brown rice and we only have a bowl each. Overall, I would say Lao Di Fang is a good try, the food isn't excellent, but it is of good standard. I do not know what's the bill but it certainly is pricey and I feel bad they have to spend so much for my sake. My collegues teased me about being living an expensive lifestyle because veg food is more expensive than meat. I was suddenly reminded me of meat being heavily subsidized, even if meat production wasn't expensive, considering the kind of diseases brought about by meat and the billions of bucks needed to cure the diseases meat would hardly be cheap at all.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So wonderful of them, you going to buy them vegan snacks ;p

Oh, I miss working, so sometimes i would go back to visit my ex-office, ha..ha..ha.. -- crystal

urban vegan said...

How nice of them to take you our for veg grub. FUnny, I think being veg can certainly be less expensive than being a meat eater--both in the short term, if you avoid convenience foods--and in the long term, if you consider the potential medical bills of meat eaters. (Vegetarians have lower incidiences of heart disease and cancer.)

Veggie Bun said...

How come meat are subsidized?

Btw, Lao Di fang is purely vegetarian? I wanna go try the Kou rou bao. hahaha...

Veggie Bun said...

oh, crystal, i envy that you don't have to go to work..

dreamy said...

Crystal, enjoy ur life! Work is very tiring! :)

Yup I agree UV, considering the energy waste, environmental clean-up cost, health problems etc. meat shld be much more expensive, even if mock meats are more difficult to make.

VB, the kou rou pao is only so-so leh :) "Subsidized" - in my reply to UV. If we take into the account of other resources, meat isn't that cheap. http://www.mcspotlight.org/campaigns/countries/usa/bb_leaflet.html

Lyn Rose said...

Hi there, I like your blog site! The hippo clip is so funny. Keep up the good work!

Lyn Rose, Toronto, Canada

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2012 http://living-vegan.blogspot.com