Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Ci Yan Vegetarian Outlet

Yesterday my friends decided to meet up for a sea food dinner. I joined but only to see "food". Took my dinner at Ci Yan organic place at 8 smith street at Chinatown instead. At first I thought I entered the wrong place since I can see only lots of pieces of posters instead of their eatery's name. The place is decorated with Buddhist posters, thankas, and a picture of HHDL on the inside. Basically the ambience is pretty much Tibetan Buddhism. The air-conditioning was very light. There was no background music - a good place for a peaceful and quiet meal. The place is quite small, but there were only two unoccupied tables.

They do not have a menu, the lady boss told me they have a brown rice + vegetables set meal and laksa and tofu goreng. I ordered the laksa - they did not use milk or coconut milk, it was served in a flash.

It was the most unusual laksa I ever had. First, it does not have the thick creamy soup of the usual laksas. Second, it is served with veggies on the top. Third, I don't remember eating any mock meat, which usually comes with vegetarian laksa. Seeing is believing...

The taste is reasonable well considering they do not use msg. But the laksa may be a little hot for those who are not a fan of chillis. Go early for dinner if you want a choice of mix veg rice or the day's special, my laksa was one of the last bowls they serve.

Home cooked dish - Somedays ago, my mum did an interesting stir fry - Cellophane noodles + Chinese radish + Tofu bits which taste pretty good even though I don't really like chinese radish. Ok I admit... it doesn't look as good as the organic laksa, but it's good :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

address :)

Sunny said...

Hi Dreamy,
Their Brown rice set is available daily but Menu for the Day changes everyday. So, menu for that day you visited must be Laksa & Tofu Goreng.
Could it be Penang Laksa that you tried? Usually Penang laksa is served with shreds of vege (cumcumber?) on top & soup is usually more towards TomYam taste.
Have not been there a long time, certainly miss her Ipoh Hor Fun & Korean mixed rice.
Wonder when wld be the lucky day that she will cook them again as she usually decides her menu of the day on the day....:P
Cheers:-)

Sorina said...

You have a very nice blog, good post...keep up the good job

Anonymous said...

Hi Dreamy,
I wonder if it is possible to put songs, eg. converted into mp3 on blog? Couldnt find the feature except closest is linking url. or how to recreate into url?
Thanks....

urban vegan said...

I have GOT to come to Singapore.

dreamy said...

Hi

The address is at 8 Smith Street, Chinatown.

I am not sure how to put songs on the blog, if I find out I will let you know again.

Jackie said...

Looks a cosy restaurant.

Both meals look very interesting. I sometimes like something hot with from chillies in it but do tend to prefer a curry flavor.

dreamy said...

Yes, it is indeed cosy, you get to see ay your little corner at your little table and enjoy your meal :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2012 http://living-vegan.blogspot.com