Saturday, May 10, 2008

Volunteering for VSS

It's been more than a week since my last post. So it was sometime after the Lian He Wan Bao Health and Beauty fair at suntec which vegetarian society (Singapore)'s got a booth. I was there helping out for a few hours and people were just attracted to the booth, I don't know if it's for the freebies (even if they were vegetarian freebies!) :D Anyway most people were just taking the leaflets we had and the mini booklets Danny contributed.


Last saturday we had VCD seeds packing at Kheng's house, the volunteer turn out was pretty good and there were a lot of new faces! Kheng made us red bean soup and cheng tng. The red bean soup was exotic and the cheng tng was really refreshing. For lunch I had the Lor Mee at Junction 8 food court. Kheng said their yong tau fu was good but none that day! The lor mee was very different from the usual ones. It does not have a thick and dark gravy and the noodles they use were also of a different variety.


Unfortunately I didn't get to stay for dinner cuz there is a Singapore vegetarian meetup. Meetup was at Nature Vegetarian Delights at Upper Serangoon Road. I ordered the Sum Lou Hor Fan, which turns out to be like this. You will satisfy your craving if you have been dreaming of mock fish for sometime. Not very healthy, very little veggies, but the hor fan's got reasonable taste despite not being charred by fire.


That was Saturday. Friday I was at Boon Keng, so I drop by one of my frequented places - Forest Dew (yes... again!) To my surprised they had a nasi lemak speciality for lunch. They let you pick your own Nasi Lemak side dishes so I went for the veggies and things that look more special. From left to right: Cucumber + chilli paste (usual), fried yong tau fu!, a flat slice of fried "fish", ladies fingers with pineapple chunks and chilli, long beans with chilli. The yong tau fu was good! And very unexpected - smth you won't see in Nasi Lemak. The rest were rather usual tasting but hot.

10 comments:

Sunny said...

Thanks, I didn't know that Junction 8 food court has a vegetarian stall. Must try :-)

Hmm, Singapore vegetarian meetup, sounds interesting :-)

pavotrouge said...

*must go to singapore* the food looks ace!

Anonymous said...

hey, when did a vegetarian stall open at Junction 8 food court???

Sunny said...

Hi Dreamy,
I just watched a DVD (produced by Wisdom Sutra Distributor) named
How to Practise Animal Liberation Wiselybr/> that I got from the Bright Hill Temple (BHT/KMSPKS)'s Dharma Publication Free Distribution booth at Vesak@Orchard.
Have you watched that?
I think it will be a good complement in addition to "Seeds". that can be distributed at next Vegetarian Society event?
Cheers:-)

edamame said...

All dishes look very delicious! I am interested in the food culture of your country. And I support your site. If there is time, please come in my site. From Japan
http://food-soybean.blogspot.com/

Crystal @ Blog*Spot said...

Dreamy, thanks for the info. You make my day so beautiful.

The old food court at J8 didn't have any veg food stall and i never bother to go there.

I had my lunch there today, I am so happy. The food court is so beautiful and green. I just love the veg stall, it looks so COOL.

Cheers :)

Crystal @ Blog*Spot said...

Oop, it clean not green :p i keep remembering the little white pebbles and grass on the table. :D

Anonymous said...

It's good news to know more & more food courts having vegetarian stalls. Lets hope that every food court &hawker centres would have at least 1 vegetarian stall!
Cheers!!!

Jackie said...

Our food courts don't have vegetarian areas but thankfully most of the stalls have one or two dishes that I can eat. My usual at them is a stir fry or veggie curry.

dreamy said...

Hi Sunny, thanks to you, I just got the video yesterday from kmspks. I watch it immediately when I got home, it makes me feel happy to see ppl liberating the animals, but at the same time when I saw them lifting the fishes onto their hands or into the nets to drop in the water, I jus thought wouldn't it be better to lower the basket of water into the sea directly so as not to tramautise them.

I will suggest to the comm, but since it's religious related whether it may not be acceptable. The only concern I have is that some people may criticise life liberation and create demerit for themselves, as it is not acceptable to all veg*ns not to mention non-vegs.

Jackie and pavotrouge must come to SG one day :) Not all the food may be excellent, but there are many places for you to choose from :)

I think it opened a short while ago, I am glad they did! Actually everywhere major shopping centre SHOULD have affordable veg food.. just like Halal food. thats my 2 cents..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2012 http://living-vegan.blogspot.com