Friday, December 3, 2010

Sitting in the Shade of the Family Tree

This is actually a song, but I can't find the song online, only the lyrics.

Sitting in the Shade of the Family Tree
Rev. Heng Sure, 2007

Water and earth, wind and fire,
Roots digging deep, branches reaching higher,
North and South and East and West all beings are kin to me,
We’re all sitting in the shade of the family tree.

I’ve got earth in my feet, I’ve got oceans in my knees,
Seven generations live on inside of me,
My roots connect the universe, all beings are family,
We’re all sitting in the shade of the family tree.

What we do to our planet, we do to our home;
Planet Earth is our address, nobody lives alone.
Everyone’s a neighbor in our earth community,
We’re all sitting in the shade of the family tree.

Earth is home to all of us,
Share the crops don’t make a fuss,
Share the food grown in the ground,
There’s enough to go around.
Eat the burger, feed the cat,
One you savor, one you pet.
Pet the burger, eat the cat,
How you gonna keep it straight?

I’ve got brothers wearing fur, I’ve got sisters wearing fins,
Some with wings and some with tails, and some with pasty skin,
I’m don’t eat my family come can sit right here by me,
We’re all sitting in the shade of the family tree.

The cook she calls it omelet but the chicken called it egg,
You may call it drumstick, but the turkey called it leg,
Every mother loves her children, live and let life be,
So we can sit beneath the shade of the family tree.

Come on and sit beneath the shade of the family tree.

The author has another song called "American Beef Cow".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found a recording of this song on the Dharma Seed website: http://dharmaseed.org.
It's part of a talk by Heng Sure:
2008-12-25 Giving Gifts And Listening To The Good News

You might also check www.dharmaradio.rog

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2012 http://living-vegan.blogspot.com