Saturday, January 5, 2008

Retreat and a new job

Happy New Year! The past week was really tiring as I went to do volunteer work for kmspks Om Mani Padme Hung Retreat. His Eminence Drubwang Konchok Norbu Rinpoche will come to Singapore to lead the retreat everytime if conditions allow. Besides reciting the mantra Om Mani Padme Hung, Drubwang Rinpoche often encourage people to become vegetarians. This time to Singapore, he passed away, though I really wished he didn't so he can give more talks and I can do more volunteer work, it was especially fun packing meals in the "manual production line" in the kitchen :) I hope he comes back soon and the yearly retreat will resume.

I took some pictures of kmspks... didn't manage to get a pic of the "production line" though.

The Huge Buddha statue at Ven Hong Choon Hall
Took this while seated near the back of the Buddha, hidden from view of the participants.

Not many people knew about the side gate at kmspks as it is obscured by trees, I love walking through all those trees...
I have just started my new job, but the workplace is located where the industries are and the nearest vegetarian stall is 20 minutes walk away :( The coffee shops nearby sell meat, meat and more meat, I had to eat a cold, home-packed lunch everyday, I hope I can find a way around this soon.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You didn't go for the Om Mani Padme Hung Retreat (Full or Part Time)?

I was there on and off, i like the sound of Tibet Monks reciting the Om Mani Padme Hung -- Crystal

Anonymous said...

Any microwave @ the office pantry? Or get a food warmer.

Anonymous said...

Dreamy, let work hard on promoting vegetarianism, there is still a lot we can do :)

I don't know Drubwang Konchok Norbu Rinpoche, until someone said he passed away. And from the article in Moonpointer, get to know a little bit more about him. I really like his teaching on - "
the second is the urgency of abstaining from eating meat."

So there is no more retreat this year,no more volunteer work for you there, let think about something else to do there - maybe suggest a monthly 'flea market' at KMS where vegetarian food promotion from vendors, exchange of read buddhist or veg cook books, mini veg cooking workshop for the kids at the sunday school there, etc etc ;p Me going crazy again.

-- crystal

Jackie said...

Happy New Year to you.

Always sad when someone special passes on because they leave such a gap. Thanks for the info and great pictures.

dreamy said...

Nope Crystal, I join as volunteer at the full-time hall. were u in the part time hall or full time hall?

No microwave, and I dun use microwave also... yes I think i need a food warmer!

Yes i remember his teaching in 2003or 04? when i was a participant, he emphasize a lot on not eating meat. Hahaha... flea market sounds good but you have to tell it to the ppl at kms I am not in their team :)

Jackie: I am still trying to improve my photo-taking skills :)

Jari (travelling-vegan) said...

Well, if a food warmer is too much trouble you could just make sandwiches, they can be pretty yummy too.

a veg*n @ Blog*Spot said...

Dreamy, me at part time hall on and off. You lucky gal, went for full time.

Heee..., send in my crazy suggestions to KMS :p

Sunny said...

Hi Dreamy & Crystal,
I was there as part-timer on & off this round as well.
Crystal, who knows, we might be sitting just next to each other:P
I took & put some pictures in the Pagoda of 10,000 Buddhas (hall for part-timers) in my other blog. Take a look if you are there:P
Dreamy, Thank you to you & all volunteers & organisers to help make the event a success!!!
Hopefully, they will continue to organise the yearly event & also the monthly one on the lunar 15th. Feeling a loss if not continued:-(
Good week ahead :-)

dreamy said...

Jari: i tried that! Easy and hassle free :)

Oh u mean u were volunteering crystal? I tot u are the participant lol!

sunny: yea i hope we can continue to have retreats next year onwards

a veg*n @ Blog*Spot said...

Me, not lah, not volunteering, the last time i volunteering there was before my boy was born - table setting for the 7th mth or Ching Meng. Real interesting, there was once, i took half day leave just to do that. :)

a veg*n @ Blog*Spot said...

Sunny,

Went to your blog, saw the pictures, i was not in the picture. I was sitting on the floor on the left hand side (my favourite side), quite front but not that front :p, with my son.

That's interesting, Dreamy and Sunny, we were all there, maybe even at the same time, same place. :)

I am kind of "addicted" to the retreat, like the feeling of it. :)

Sunny said...

Hi Crystal,
yes, the retreat is good even the short practices that they used to host on lunar 15th monthly.
Sure alot of people would miss it too. Hopefully they will decide to resume it after CNY.
Lets all petition for it:P

Good weekend!!!:-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2012 http://living-vegan.blogspot.com